Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Yard Sale Chair Makeover



I told the story behind this chair here.  In my head it was going to be a quick easy weekend project that went smooth and turned out amazing.  Mmmmm.... I'm gonna say my head must have been pretty off that day!  This beastly chair was plagued with issues!

You know how when you have a fancy party to go to and you have your perfect outfit all picked out and you give yourself an hour to get ready because you know you've got this!  After all, you've been to a million parties so getting ready this time should be a piece of cake!  Then, you run up to slip on your dress and there is deodorant all over it,  you can't find the shoes to match, and you get a big zit...

A little scrubbing, borrow a pair of shoes from your best friend, and a bit of concealer and you are on your way!  It just takes a little longer to get ready!  In turn the stress causes you to need a couple extra glasses of wine...  OK, OK, I'm going to stop with the analogy, but you get the jist! 



I cannot for the life of me figure out the story behind this little yard sale find.  It appears someone starting stripping it but only did the front (obviously).  Maybe they just had it pushed up against the wall and didn't care what the back looked like?  That sounds like something I might be tempted to do (kidding... kind of)!

I started with a good sanding and a coat of primer.  Enter problem number one.  It bled thru the primer a bright pink! 


Nothing a little can of Zinsser Ultimate Stain Blocking Primer couldn't fix!  So, two coats of primer and another light sand.   I wasn't sure what color to paint the chair and I originally thought I would do a creamy white with a little distressing.  Then, I came across a super duper awesome Miss Mustard Seed to tutorial and thought I could totally do that.  Note to self....1) Stick to your original plan next time and 2) you are no where near as good as Miss Mustard Seed!!  Here is where I ended up next.


Whoa!!!  Okay, Kandi, don't panic!  Miss Mustard Seed says it is going to be alright...  I am supposed to dry brush a coat of light gray, distress, and glaze.  I did that.  It was bad... very bad!   See for yourself.


It was all me.  I am just bad at distressing.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it!  Also, the glaze I bought was a terrible orangy color (which she happens to warn against!)  It's not even pictured with the glaze because I was too mad at the point.  I ended up giving it another light sand and dry brushing the light gray back over until I was happy with the color.  It just took me about 2 weeks to get that far! 

Now time for reupholstering.  When I began I thought I would reupholster in an awesome Ikat pictured in the original post.  That didn't go with the color of the frame.  Went and bought a nice cream linen.  That didn't go with the frame.  Raided by fabric stack and ended up using a piece of creamy blue I already had.  It worked perfectly and I had just enough!  The insides were in great condition so the next part should be easy right.  Nope!  Nothing easy going to happen with this chair!  I've decided this chair is actually made of the hardest wood on the planet!  Staples breaking, nails bending, me cursing...  it was ugly!  So, many hours, sore fingers, and curse words later she was done.  The white gimp did go on with no major problems other than a couple hot glue blister.  On to the finished product that after all that I am very happy with!







A couple things. 

1.There is a bench that matches this chair.  I have no clue what to do to it but I need it to be awesome!  Rebekah and I picked up that pair for $45... seriously! 

2. I have a super quick and easy tutorial coming for the hydrangea wreath you see in the background of these photos. 

3.Lastly, go enter our Owl Friend Giveaway!! 

Kandi

Linking up here.





shabby creek cottage
all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {2/21}

Home Stories A2Z







18 comments:

  1. wow! Well the finished piece is completely fabulous. And wow, that was a project!! Glad it all turned out in the end

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am featuring you ladies tomorrow... What a great makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a work! I am still waiting with my chairs, I'm not that brave.
    You did a wonderful work, I love the outcome.
    oxox
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it...at least all that hard work paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This chair turned out beautifully. It is an amazing transformation from blah to amazing. Excellent job!!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chair looks fantastic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks beautiful! SO MUCH BETTER!
    Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse Party! I included this in my Feature post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great make-over...your chair looks amazing! You have a lovely blog and I'll be following along to see how you made that beautiful hydrangea wreath. Hope you are enjoying your weekend, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great transformation! I spent some time this morning browsing through your blog (found it via Tatertots and Jello) and quite enjoyed looking at your projects. After reading for a while, I realized that the two of you met in the town where I live. I always love running across a "home town" blogger.

    I look forward to seeing more of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful makeover!! It looks so gorgeous and we truly appreciate you sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous! I love the finish! Such a cosy little corner with the chair, the pillow, the wreath etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like my epic chest of drawer project. Problem after problem. But, turned out great! The chair is so pretty! Well done.

    Thanks for sharing at Show Off Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, so pretty! I love reading your tutorials. "Little Miss Mustard Seed says don't panic." LOL!! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a difference! Beautiful!

    I would love for you to stop by and link up your chair redo for Functional Friday!

    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  15. AWESOME transformation! I'm featuring you today over at Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL!

    Hope you'll be back today with more of your fabulousness! : )

    ~Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful!!! I'm featuring you tomorrow!!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  17. YOU R SO SMART...you know that is a chair many people would have trashed but you had the 'eye' for recog something that in your hands could become a thing of beauty and a treasure in your home.
    -Jonell

    See you at: Like Gramma's House blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity