Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Metal Basket Pendant Light

Last time Rebekah and I were out shopping at The Screen Door I found this super cool vintage basket for around $20. Industrial style is all the rage and I am a fan too! I brought it home and my husband said it was an old golfing range ball bucket which to me made it even cooler.  Am I the only one who buys something cool and unique, gets it home, and then cannot figure out where to put it?! 

It started out in Gray's room with stuffed animals in it.   Not good enough!

I even tried it in the bathroom with toilet paper in it.... uh, yeah, not good enough...

On my trip to Charlotte to the Southern Home and Garden Show we snuck out a little early and headed to Ikea! I told my husband I would be home by 5:00 and in the interest of enjoying myself to the fullest I pulled in the driveway at 4:59! SO  MUCH   FUN!!!  You will eventually see a few project using little goodies found there but when I stumbled upon this little $3.99 item I knew exactly what I was going to do with it!!

Ikea HEMMA Cord Set

And it really was $3.99!  That is just ridiculously cheap.  I had to go ahead and buy two just in case I might need one again in the future.  I knew I needed something more than just a regular bulb and remembered seeing this vintage style bulb last time I was at Home Depot. 


I had to put this picture in because these bulbs are hard to photograph and I couldn't get its cool factor to come through in my pictures!  At $8.97 it cost more than both my new cords put together but I do think it was worth it!  It gives a perfect soft glow that is needed when you have an exposed bulb.

Here is all you need to know for this little project.  Make sure the bottom of your basket has an opening large enough to fit the end of the plug through or that you are able to make an opening.  That's it!  Your cord will come with hooks for the ceiling and these nifty little doodads to hold the cord in place at the exact height you want it. Those people at Ikea think of EVERYTHING... and did I mention for $3.99!
My cord is run right behind t curtain and plugged in behind it which worked out perfectly to hide it. 
This was about a 5 minute project and I feel like this is definitely good enough for my super cool vintage range ball basket! 



It couldn't be more perfect to light up this little reading nook in Gray's room.  There is a pretty serious amount of plaid in this corner but it doesn't bother me at all!  I would change this dino rug out for an awesome chevron print but we can't have it all! 

In a stroke of good luck for me my in-laws have graciously offered to keep BOTH OF MY KIDS this weekend!  They are more awesome than you might imagine.  I will miss my dear sweet children greatly... seriously, no sarcasm at all (especially after Harper pulled every single article of her clothing out of her drawers today... I thought she was sweetly playing babies in her room... they needed cleaned out anyway...) 
 Good thing she's cute!!

Instead of taking a trip or sleeping all weekend we are getting wild and painting our hall!  We are wild and crazy I know!  Wanna come hang out?  It does have at least 350 paint swatches on it so its necessary. Who knows, maybe I'll post more pictures of Will with crazy bed head and holey T-shirts.  Fun times!

Kandi

19 comments:

  1. Super cool! I love the look of it and the vintage bulb. Newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved that bulb too (not like me to spend that much gor a single bulb!!)

      Delete
  2. This is way cool...and I like how simple and straightforward a home dec project this is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea for the wire basket! It looks fabulous in the room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute idea!!! Love the bulb...

    Found you at Savvy Southern Style!

    ~*Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super clever idea!!! I would LOVE to have you share this at my link party going on right now!!
    http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2012/03/homemade-by-you-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks awesome. So did you plug it in to an outlet on the wall somewhere or hard wire it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's plugged into an outlet behind the curtain which worked out perfect!

      Delete
  7. Great project idea - this is on my agenda as well do your experience is greatly helpful :)
    That bedroom is just so cute - I don't mind all the plaid at all :)
    Thanks for linking up - I would love if you added my party button so everyone can come party with us!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Button added! Thanks for hosting such an awesome party Stacey

      Delete
  8. I love this! Great light. The whole space is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that light fixture. You pulled it all together really well. Enjoy your "quiet" weekend.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! Thanks so much for sharing it our Uncommonly Yours link party! Can't wait to see what you are up to next week!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have used the Ikea cord and will again. I love the vintage bulb! I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

    Thanks for sharing on Show Off Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun idea!! :) I never would have thought to do this! You have the best ideas! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool! I totally want to create a light like this - it is just awesome!
    Thanks for coming by to link up - please come back this Thursday as well!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  14. So darling!! Thank you for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The various applications and uses for wire cloth or wire mesh products are literally endless, and span
    across all areas of commerce and industry. Aside from being a product itself, wire cloth is also used to
    strengthen, reinforce, or improve many other products in a variety of ways. Metal basket is one of them which is a multi purpose product.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity