Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Roses and Ruffles: Pillow Tutorial


I guess I am feeling a little French Country Cottage this week.  After my French Inspired Chair was finished I was thinking a little romantic pillow would go nicely with it.  Ruffles and roses  are always in order, especially around Valentines Day.  They just brings out the "girly" in you! 

I had actually been practicing my ruffles (more on that in a minute).  So I had this muslin ruffle on hand.  The technique I have been using is the "wad it under your sewing foot as you sew fairly slow" technique.  Very technical... look it up!  Works fine for me since I do not own a ruffler foot at the moment. 

Here is a tutorial on how I made these linen roses.  There are tons out there.  All pretty similar but this is how I did it.

1.  Cut a rectangle of your fabric.  Mine was about 9" by 11" and I ended up with about a 3" diameter rosette.

2. Round off the corners.

3.  Cut around snail shell style.  You can trace your line or just cut.  It doesn't need to be perfect!

4.  Tie a knot in your starting end which will make the center of your rosette.

5.  Tuck the tail end that is left from your knot under and start wrapping your fabric around in a circle twisting it as you go.  It will make sense once you start.

6.  When you get to the end you should have a rounded piece of fabric left.  Cover it in hot glue and stick your flower down.   At this point you can trim off any random "petals" and make sure its secure by adding a little more glue if needed.  I finished mine off with a little pearl glued to the center.

Sew your ruffle to your pillow front leaving about 1-2 inches free on either end.  Sew up your pillow making sure not to sew the ends of the ruffle into the seam.  When pillow is finished trim ruffle to the perfect size and glue or hand sew your flowers on.

So, the reason I'm practicing my ruffling....  Check out this slip covered ottoman on Dear Lillie!  I am obsessed and feel like I must make one ASAP!  Go check out her sight for beautiful photography and amazing projects.

Happy Day After Valentines Day.  I hope you are in a chocolate coma and full of love!

Kandi

Linking up here.


37 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Just wanted to make sure you saw the comment letting you know your ottoman was on this post!!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow!!! This pillow is absolutely fantastic! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty pillow. Thanks for showing how to make flowers. I've been wanting to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaaa- UUUTEY!
    So simple..beautiful!
    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's gorgeous, thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful pillow! I love it! So soft and pretty looking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE! I would be thrilled to have you link here>>http://www.thevintagefarmhouse.com/2012/02/its-that-time-of-week-again.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh.... you're right.. that ottoman is FABULOUS!! Your pillow should be paired with it... I say go and pick it up!!! :)

    Come check out my blog too :) I have a linky party and a big giveaway going on :)
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty pillow! I love the ruffle and the flowers! I'd love for you to share this at my new link party.
    Rachel
    http://adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com/2012/02/terrific-tuesday-2-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pillow--I made one sort of similar-- http://loveofwhite.blogspot.com/2012/02/pillow-talk.html
    Now I think I should make one like yours to go with it. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so lovely! The ottoman is pretty amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anything with burlap and rosette's is my favorite! I adore this pillow! Thanks for sharing it on Show Off Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an absolutely beautiful pillow! I love the mix of textures! I am hosting my first link party today, and would love for you to add this along with anything else you like!
    http://www.mom4realky.blogspot.com/2012/02/4-real-friday-link-party-1.html

    Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous Pillow, love the monochromatic look!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty! I just love the color and texture mix on the pillow. I bought the material to make a pillow similar to yours but all the stuff is still in the bag. You have inspired me to get going with that! I saw your post over at "At the Picket Fence".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those sweet roses.I am following from Megs Show off Saturday.I am your new follower.I hope you will follow me too.Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that pillow so much that I pinned it and will be making it too!

    :)

    Linda
    itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pillow is really adorable! I love the textures!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  19. So darling- love your sweet pillow! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This pillow is beautiful!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How smart. Im not into sewing in any way, but I plan to try these roses. LOVE THEM.

    Im new to blogland, only 3 weeks in. I've just become your newest follower, so come follow me too. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This turned out AWESOME!!!! So pretty! Thanks so much for sharing at my party!!! Can't wait to see what you link up this week!!! Just in case you haven't entered, my giveaway for 1000 full color business cards ends tonight at midnight!!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  24. Terrific Job! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it!! I just sewed my very first ruffles this week!! I used your method. Glad to know it has a name :)

    Thanks SO much for linking up!! Your site has become a favorite of mine, for sure!! I hope to see you this Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I so love it, it really is so beautiful. Thanks so incredibly much for sharing this really lovely pillow, love the flowers. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooooooooh, soooo pretty!

    Just so you know, I'm featuring this tomorrow for Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL!

    Great job! : )

    ~Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this pretty pillow!!! Thanks so much for linking up to Think Pink Sundays - I featured you today! http://www.flamingotoes.com/2012/02/crush-of-the-week-think-pink-features-40/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your pillow is to die for!! It is just so girly and beautiful!! You did a great job!! Found you from your feature at Flamingo Toes!!

    ~jill
    iknowtheplansihave4you.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the pillow, I so am going to make one similar for my mom. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this and will give it a try. Thanks. I have seen the technique before when doing ribbon embroidery. Never thought to do it large size.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is looking so beautiful. Moreover it is so easy to make. I'd definitely give it a try. Now it's time to avail shutters in birmingham for more information.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity