Monday, May 14, 2012

How to make a terrarium

I have been loving terrariums for a while now (with plants... no live animals!).  They have been all over blogland it seems.  They are so beautiful in apothecary jars which is what I planned on using until I stumbled upon this awesome little terrarium at the Goodwill for only $4!
This Pottery Barn Terrarium would be a good substitute but will cost you a little more than mine at $129!!  I cannot get over how similar they are!
Tabletop Greenhouse from Pottery Barn
I did a little Google research, gathered my supplies, and had an adorable terrarium in about 15 minutes!! 

Here is a link to an awesome Better Homes and Gardens slide show on terrariums and great plant options!

Supplies:

-Glass containers with or without tops
-Gravel, sea glass or beach stones
-Activated charcoal (found at a nursery or pet supply store)
-Terrarium plants
-Sterile potting mix
-Moss (optional)

Steps:
1. Start with a clean container and add your layer of rocks.  This is to give the water somewhere to go instead of soaking the roots.  I gathered mine from outside but you can buy the pretty decorative ones too.
2. Sprinkle your rocks with a layer of activated charcoal.  This helps keep the water from stagnating.
3.  Add a layer of moss if you wish.  This keeps your dirt from filling into your rocks and adds another layer to help with drainage.
4.  Layer of potting soil.
5.  Plant your plants and water. 


Such an easy project!  There are lots of resources on methods and types of plants.  I really wanted succulents (because I think they are pretty) so I hear you need to open it up and let it air out because they are not big fans of humidity.  Stick with small plants and you'll be fine.  You can always switch them out or trim them down if they start to outgrown your container.  Other than that check to see if it needs water every week.  Water if the soil is dry.  Simple way to add some life to your house!

Don't forget to check out the new Wedding Line of pillows!!  We are LOVING them!!

Kandi

Partying at some of these awesome places!

Motivate Me Monday The Cure for the Common Monday Just Something I Whipped Up Polly Want a Crafter Sew Can Do Boogieboard Cottage DIY Home Sweet Home Brassy Apple Polish the Stars Serendipity and Spice Destination Craft Mrs Happy Homemaker Made for You Monday Make it Yourself Monday Ask Anna C.R.A.F.T. The Southern Institute The DIY Showoff Craftomaniac Raising 4 Princesses Between Naps on the Porch Bedazzle Me Monday The Life of a Not So Ordinary Wife Make Something Monday * A Diamond in the Stuff Stringtown Home Organizing Home Life Tuesday Tutorials Giggles Glitz and Glam Be Inspired Tuesday Time Out A to Zebra Celebrations My Favorite Finds Eye Heart Our Delightful Home The Inspiration Board Frugal Treasures Tuesday Too Cute Tuesday Sugar and Dots Topsy Turvy Tuesdays Trick or Treat Tuesday Chef in Training Sugar Bee Crafts Hope Studios Tell it to me Tuesday Your Cozy Home Party Turquoise Lovin’ Tuesday To Do Party Cherished Bliss Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays Type A Adventures of a DIY Mom Show Me What Ya Got Get Your Craft On Nifty Thrifty Tuesday Tuesday Confessional Teagan Travels How to Nest for Less A Bowl Full of Lemons Tuesday Trade Off Tip Junkie T2T Tuesday Tuesday Treasures Ladybug Blessings Creative Itch Toot your Horn Tuesday Jillify It Tutorial Tuesday Pin Cushion Creations Junk in their Trunk Polkadots on Parade * Laugh Love and Craft Rock N Share Clean & Scentsible The Trendy Treehouse Beyond the Picket Fence School House Scraps The Thrifty Home Sew Woodsy Savvy Southern Style Your Whims Wednesday Wow me Wednesday A Little Tipsy Women Living Well Primp your Stuff Wednesday Show and Share Mrs. Fox’s Sweet Party Whatever goes Wednesday Live.Laugh.Rowe Adventures in Dinner Easy Digital Scrapbooking Mom on Timeout The CSI Project Share Your Cup Thursday Fabulously Flawed It’s Sew Stinking Cute The Shabby Creek Cottage The Crafty Blog Stalker Christina’s Adventures Crafty Scrappy Happy Embracing Change 52 Mantels Bear Rabbit Bear The Vintage Farmhouse Bloom Designs A Turtles Life for Me The Taylor House Rhinestone Beagle Schoolhouse Scraps The Brambleberry Cottage * The Shabby Nest Tidy Mom Joyful Stamper My Simple Home Life Remodelaholic Delicate Construction Happy Hour Projects Chic on a Shoestring Decorating 504 Main Hating Martha The Creative Paige Here Comes the Sun Cookie Nut Creations Bacon Time Joy in the Jumble The Grant Life Dotted Line Crafts Love Notes by Lauren Raising Oranges Making Lemonade Redoux Interiors Sassy Sites One Artsy Momma My Romantic Home Petals to Picots Pandoras Craft Box My Repurposed Life French Country Cottage At the Picket Fence Just Us Four Mommas Kinda Crafty Craftionary Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons Just Us 4 Sweet Tooth Friday 30 Handmade Days Lovely Crafty Home* Mama Mias Heart to Heart Homemaker in Heels Family Ever After Lady Bird Lane Serenity You The Gingerbread Blog* Cherished Treasures Re-made Just Right Under the Table & Dreaming The Sweet talk Shop Sassafrass Salvation Simple as That My 1929 Charmer Heatherly Loves The Sasse Life Joy 2 Journey The Foley


28 comments:

  1. Found you through Sassy Sites - Tuesday Trash to Treasure party. What a great buy...getting that terrarium for only $4. I love a great trash to treasure story! I've got a trash to treasure trouble free gardening tips post up right now. I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me back at
    http://www.smallholdings.blogspot.com
    Sherron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for showing this off. I've always been fascinated by terrariums but never knew how to get started. I found you on Thrifty Home and I'm now following, would love for you to follow me back. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to do this for the longest time, thanks so much for the awesome tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calling by as another participant in Share Your Cup Thursday, I like the idea of a terrarium but still have not got round to seeing if it would work here, yours looks very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kandi, your terrarium is sweet as Kandi! Ha-ha, I bet you've never heard that line before. Seriously though, you did a great job and I cannot believe the price. I found one at GW, but my lid does not fit exactly. I still use it often for holiday displays. I may try planting it up for Spring and Summer. Thanks so much for sharing with Share Your Cup. I am now a new follower.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely item to stumble across at a thrift store! I'd love to make one if I can find one of these. New Linky follower to you:)
    JoAnn
    sweetpepperrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so pretty! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesday.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great. My kids would love to make a terrarium. Thanks for sharing at Handmade Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Came across this at Show & Tell Fridays. I've been thinking about making my own terrarium and I hope I'm as lucky as you and find a $4 container!! What a great find!

    ~* Ashley
    earthlyashley.blogspost.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great deal on your terrarium. I got a giant jar at a yard sale recently and want to make one in it. I hope it turns out to look as nice as yours does.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! I have that (almost) same one in my master bedroom that I also found at the GW! Yours turned out awesome! and on another note....I love the pillows on your couch!

    --Katie
    @ Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen these all over Pinterest and have been wanting to try to make one. I definitely will after seeing this post. I love how you displayed it on your coffee table too-very stylish indeed!

    My weekly Say G'Day Saturday Linky Party has just started and I would be honoured if you could join in and link up this fabulous post!

    Best wishes and I hope you have a great weekend!
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! It's just so pretty with the pink flower mixed in. I'm anew follower stopping over from serenity Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember I made a terrarium when I was a little girl. Great Memory:) What super luck to find that terrarium for only $4! Just dropping in from Serenity You to invite you to share this at Freedom Fridays blog hop. So hoping to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! I think I need to make one!
    thanks for linking up! I featured you post on my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/12-cool-ideas-for-summer/

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is too perfect. I can't believe you scored yours for $4 and PB was $129. Oh my! Thanks so much for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! It is amazing how similar it is to the one from Pottery Barn! Thanks so much for linking up at Homemaker in Heels! I am featuring this on my FB page and will be featuring it on the blog the weekend! :) Have a wonderful week! :)
    Crystal
    P.S. I'm your newest GFC, LT, and Twitter follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Especially sweet in the container you picked!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it!!! I need to find a good containter for a terrarium! I have a black thumb, but this seems doable! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesdays, I'm featuring your terrarium today! And I love those pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so LOVE yours better!!! And LOVE the price haha

    Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you link up this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow so pretty!! You did such a great job! Thanks so much for sharing at Sunday Round Up! Hope you have a great rest of the week!
    -Kayla :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous find! I would have snapped that cute little terrarium up in a heartbeat myself. It makes a wonderful addition to your tabletop vignette.

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. Hope you'll join the fun each week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's absolutely lovely and I, of course, just had to feature it today!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this idea! I want to try to make one. Thanks for linking up! Hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful decoration, better than the PB version I would say! I am going to Show This Off tonight at my party, hope to see you there!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Succulents seem to be a very popular choice for first-timers of terrariums! It’s easy to see why – succulents don’t require a lot of things. The most important thing to remember with succulents is that they don’t like water as much as most other plants do, so only opt for minimal watering and regularly opening them up to dry out. Great choice of a tank, and that single flower in the center really gives a special “oomph” to the entire piece.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity